News

Children's Home to receive Historic Marker

Posted on: May 16, 2018

In 2019, The Children’s Home/The Father’s House will be celebrating its 150th anniversary. It was founded on North “C” Street in 1869 to house orphans from the Civil War and other children in need from Butler county.  It remained there for six years until the home became overcrowded.  In September of 1875, the home was moved to 425 South “D” Street, thanks for the two fine individuals. E. G. Dyer who built the home, circa 1850, and his partner in business, Clark Lane, Hamilton Industrialist.

Through a grant from the Hamilton Community Foundation and the leadership of Kathleen Stuckey Fox, and David Belew a marker is being requested through the state of Ohio.  Once received the Ohio Historical Marker will be placed on the property at the “D” Street location as part of this celebration.  The dedication of the marker, along with the 150th anniversary celebration will take place in the spring of 2019.

Today, the Butler County Children’s Home as become The Father’s House, a New Oaks Community, owned and operated by Daryl and Roxann Gunnarson.  This is a faith-based restoration project which will be a residential center for families adopting or giving children foster care and providing services for families engaged in foster care in the Butler County area.